Friday, August 24, 2012

Things to blog about


I've decided that rather than just blog about my every day, and mostly boring, life, I'm going  to write my own reviews of books and movies. Here's my first review:

The Hunger Games
(the movie)

 
First off, I want to say that I don't understand the hype...AT ALL!! Was this the best film of the year? No way! Did it get so much hype because of the books?? That I don't know. I couldn't read the first book without getting bored and saying, "Never mind." And some of the critiques I'm about to make aren't necessarily just towards the movie, but probably the book as well.
K
atniss takes care of her younger sister. It's later shown that it's because when her father died, her mother couldn't handle it and didn't take care of her or her younger sister. Yet, when preparing for the "Reaping" her mother is capable of laying clothes out and doing the girls' hair. She seems perfectly capable of being a mother to me.....but Katniss still steps in as the mother. It came across as a little of a power trip, in my opinion.      
In order to prevent her sister from being in the hunger games, she volunteers in her sister's place. When she initially gets on the futuristic train, she acts as though she wants no handouts from the authority. The people in district 12 seem to be starving, yet she doesn't eat any of the food provided to her. However, later on she seems to have no problem taking anything from the authority. So, initially she came off with this hard, I don't need your help attitude. But later accepted all the help she could get. Katniss makes an alliance with a little girl who basically saved her. Yet, she has no problem sending her out into the woods by herself. Did she REALLY think she'd be safe by herself?? Then she's heartbroken when the little girl dies. WHAT DID SHE EXPECT?? There can only be 1 survivor (or at least so far in the game). So why all the drama over this girl and no one else who was brutally murdered??? When Peeta "confesses" his love for Katniss, I'm a little confused. Is he actually in love with her? Or is it to get more help with the "star crossed lovers" act? How can he love her if he's really never talked to her? He provided her with bread, but only threw it out on the ground and in the rain. Then he claims to have followed her home every day. How would that make him fall in love with her?? And if he loved her, why did he make an alliance with the super duper angry mean and violent group that was trying to kill her? Was it a fake alliance to try and find her and help her? There definitely should have been more of an explanation of what he was doing, and how she was able to forgive him even after he made an alliance with the evil group.
I can't even have any appreciation for creativity with this book/movie. Why? Hm, has there ever been any other movies about people being entertained watching other people fight to the death? Gladiator, Unleashed, Lionheart, The Condemned...just to name a few that I have personally seen. So, what's new or different about this movie? That it's in the future? Nope. The Running Man did that already. That it's kids fighting? Battle Royale did that back in 2000. And Red Dawn (1984) consisted of teenagers who had to fight/kill to survive. So, can someone please explain to me how this is the "Best Movie of the Year"?? Because I just don't get it. And as I said earlier, I couldn't read the books because it was just too incredibly boring/slow to even get slightly interested to keep reading. I'd have to say the same with the movie. It was just as boring/slow for at least 1/2 the movie. Then the action picked up, but I think the acting was under par. "Whatever you do, don't let them starve!" Wasn't Gale already trying to prevent that from happening?? Why does she think she's the only one capable of taking care of the starving people? Does she really think that life wouldn't go on for anyone without her? Get over yourself, Katniss!
I was discussing this with my sister and her thought was that because District 12 was so poor, it was surprising to see her so good with a bow/hunting skills. That the richer and trained districts were the only ones expected to have any necessary skills for this challenge. I have to disagree. Yes, they're poor and therefore can't go buy food when they get hungry. What other options do they have? Starve? Oh wait, maybe hunting would provide food. Oh ya! That's how people survived for years....so why would anyone be surprised that she had learned to be a good shot with her bow and arrows?
I guess my final comments will be these: it wasn't a TERRIBLE movie, but it definitely wasn't my favorite. I probably will never watch it again and I don't think it has any elements that could consider it best movie of the year. I'd rate it 2 and 1/2 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. Should have read the book... You would have understood the movie..The movie left way too much to the imagination.
    Every single one of your questions was answered in the book.

    And the hunting. they were not allowed to hunt in District 12. It was against the rules and Katniss and Gale broke the rules to feed their family.

    I think you would have enjoyed the movie much more if you would have read the book. Although you would have been a little disappointed that they left so much out... But a movie can only be so long so I understand.

    ReplyDelete